At all of our Vito’s restaurants, we use the freshest of ingredients including herbs & spices! Basil is one of those herbs and we thought you’d like to learn a bit more about this leafy, very green herb’s health benefits!
Basil belongs to the sage, lavender and mint family. It is full of nutrients and had many purposes in colonial times including being medicinal. Some health benefits of basil:
- Studies have shown that basil consumption can help prevent cognitive degradation.
- Stress reduction have been known with consumption of basil. There are compounds in the basil that help with managing stress.
- Basil is full of antioxidants which can help with anti-aging and fight cancer!
- Basil can provide you with energy. It has copper in it which is a compound that eliminates fatigue & exhaustion. Often basil is used in smoothies to keep energy levels increased!
- Basil can help build strong bones. Basil is full of Vitamin K which helps keep strong bones.
- Basil has been known to reduce seizures in the brain and be beneficial for the nervous system.
- Basil can promote healthy digestion and be great for the metabolism!
One serving of basil contains an abundance of vitamins including Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K and folate. Basil can ultimately help build immunity so what are you waiting for, try some fresh basil today in your next cooking adventure or smoothie!